When writing horror mixed with another genre, how do you balance between the two? 

If I’m writing horror within another genre, I let the story decide the balance. This may mean that there isn’t actually a balance, as in 50/50, but readers won’t mind as long as the story is good.  


What is the scariest book you’ve read? 

I recently read Tender is the Flesh by Agustina Bazterrica. It wasn’t scary, but it was really disturbing. The book that got me into reading horror was Stephen King’s Night Shift. My sister lent it to me with a warning that it was scary, and she was right. I loved it. 


What’s your favorite supernatural creature? 

It’s a tie between werewolves and zombies. Werewolves are fierce and unpredictable. Zombies, as least the ones I write, are cunning and crafty. 



What’s your favorite part of Halloween? 

Horror movies! And fall gatherings with friends. 


What would be your advice to new writers writing in the horror genre? 

If you believe that horror should be frightening, write what scares you. If you believe it should be gory, write gory.  No matter what you write, go for it and dig in. Don’t hold back anything. 


What’s your favorite thing about the horror genre? 

Horror can accomplish things other genres can’t.  Gothics, for example, can make powerful statements on social conditions. Take VC Andrews’ Flowers in the Attic, for example. The book exposed the realities of abuse, neglect, and familial torment in a way that another genre could not.  

Horror does not require a ‘happy ending.” Not all stories can or should have a happy ending. Placing a happy end at the conclusion of a story that exposes harsh realities of life minimizes the impact of such realities.  


What is your favorite Halloween candy?

Candy corn. I only eat it in October. 


What was your best costume for Halloween? 

A Tootsie Roll. I made I body-size roll out of chicken wire fencing and paper mache, painted it, cut eye holes and arm holes, then climbed in.  That was seventh grade. I won second place. What beat me? A bumble bee.  


Scariest thing to happen to you? 

Being present during a drive-by shooting. Laying face down while bullets fly above you is scary.  


What’s your favorite Halloween/horror movie? 

Us. No, Babadook. Wait, I mean Rosemary’s Baby. How about Pumpkinhead? Sinister? Oh, come back later. I can’t decide right now.  


What’s the cheesiest Halloween/horror movie you’ve seen? 

Suburban Sasquatch (2004) from Brain Damage studio. A must watch. 


Is Nightmare Before Christmas a Halloween or Christmas movie? 

Let’s call is a Christmas movie because there aren’t enough Christmas horror films. 


Apple cider, pumpkin spice or something else? 

Apple cider bourbon cocktail with a slice of pumpkin spice bread, then later, whatever Oktoberfest beer is on tap.


Comments

Popular Posts