San Francisco – A Lesson, a Lounge, and possible a Liar

First thing Wednesday morning I found out the hard way that the airlines weren’t kidding about that extra charge for the second bag. That’s right; I paid an extra $25 bucks to transport my bag of hair spray, make-up, safety pins, and misc. girly stuff. Apparently it costs money to live ‘n learn. Okay, lesson learned.

It was noon when I landed; I had lunch at a place near the hotel: kung-pow chicken. Yum. After lunch, I checked into my room, did a bunch of businessy stuff, then headed to the hotel bar to chat with whoever was there and have a nice glass of red wine before the RWA Literacy signing. While at the bar I met Meredith Duran who could not be any cuter. (!) She flattered me by asking my advice for newly published authors; I asked her did she want serious advice? She assured me serious advice would be fine. I think I said something to the effect that 1) authors should not take themselves too seriously and in support of # 1 is 1B) authors should not be too worried about following “the rules.” She was very gracious and nodded politely. Later I wondered if I sounded pompous – and serious. LOL.

The RWA signing was huge, 500 some authors; I sat next to Jocelynn Drake, who was signing her just released first book Nightwalker. I had a great time telling everyone she was my sister; I was still laughing about it later.

After the signing, one of my roommates and I zipped off to the Starlight Lounge a dance club in the historic Sir Francis Drake hotel. There was a bridal party there, so we admired the bride’s dress and fussed over the newlyweds a bit. Also, there was much silliness including:

· Dancing to hipster remixes.
· Talking with some British guy about his company that dashes off to dangerous countries to rescue kidnapped Americans – I know, sounds like a Serious Line but when I asked him if he could drive backwards, as I have heard that that particular skill is essential to such rescuers, he told me he could but not with much skill, I figured maybe he wasn’t making it up. But what did I care anyway?
· More dancing to hipster remixes.
· Taking pictures of the view from the club as seen here.


If you’re looking for somewhere to go dancing that’s casual, I’d recommend it. Around 1:45 my roomie and I headed back to our hotel to tuck ourselves into bed and get ready for day 2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boat House punch, party size recipe

Sinful Sirens Blog Hop

a breakfast martini? yes.